Wednesday 9 July 2008

Picking Up the Pace: "Child's Christmas in Wales"

Hello World, 

I haven't posted in a while.  I haven't had time to truly plumb the depths of an album to the necessary degree to craft something suitable, but don't worry it's coming.  In the meantime, here's a bit of travelogue for you.

It wasn't exactly a "Child's Christmas in Wales", having been June and with me no longer classified as a child, but who doesn't want a needless and frankly inaccurate John Cale reference whenever they can get it?

But really, it kind of was.  Because I don't know about you, but nothing makes me feel like a kid in a candy store like getting the opportunity to shop at the Guinness certified World's Oldest Record Store.



Spillers Records started selling sheet music in the 1894, and have been selling whatever form of musical stimulation the common people have consumed in all subsequent eras.  Today, they continue to sell CDs and LPs, including a nice little local artists section.

The local artists section was handy because I can't really tell you much about the history of Welsh music.  I know that Super Furry Animals are Welsh, but I can't really tell you much about them.  A nice modern power-pop band, but I haven't really listened to them.

I picked up homemade EPs by Hornby Pylons and Little My, just because they were cheap.  I also bought Executive Timber by Yellostone because it was recommended by the sign on the wall and it sounded good at the listening station.  I haven't explored them much since, but I will give you detailed thoughts later.  Not that they'll be easy for anybody on this continent to track down anyway.

Overall, not the greatest record store in the world by any stretch, they were a tad pricey for your everyday purchases and didn't have an extensive collection of obscure rarities, but definitely a worthwhile stop if you're ever in Cardiff.  

Still rocking Rings Around the World,

Roy Matsunaga

No comments: